Sunday, February 22, 2015

What mothers should discuss with their daughters...

Mother and daughter relationships are precious and once in a lifetime. I was very close with my mother. If I could describe my relationship with my mother she was my teacher, counselor, mentor, role-model and coach. So, when my mother died 2000, you could imagine my sense of devastation and lost.

My mother died of breast cancer. She was nurse for over 30 years with hospital and private practice experience. My mother never "sugarcoated" anything with me. She always wanted me to be in truth and never live in deception. This is were my boldness comes from. My mother always taught me to trust God with anything I decided to do.

I could talk to my mother about anything...And, I do mean anything..This is way communication should be with parents and children.

Mothers should be an example of self-esteem in young girls. If you are mom in an abusive marriage or relationship. You are allowing your daughter to see how women should not be treated. It is likely, she will grow up to be an insecure women that is subject to abusive relationships.

Mothers should teach their daughters that beauty is not based on looks and body shapes. Many mothers have problems communicating on low self-esteem, appearance, weight, or sexuality. A young girl needs that comfort and guidance without any judgment or criticism. I call this is when a mom needs to be a "best friend". Yes, mothers can be best friends without dishonoring the role of "mom".

Mothers should be able to encourage career, life or educational choices..Mothers should communicate openly with their daughters about concerns, disappointments, and mistakes. Mothers should never talk or speak negatively about a girls father, whether is a part of her life or not. She should be open about the relationship, but not consistently speak negativity. Just because you may have made the wrong choice in men, is no reason to influence your daughter to negativity.

I understand not every young girl has an example of healthy relationships with their mothers. We as women in our careers and communities can always make a difference for many young girls.

Mothers should teach their daughters self-care with hygiene, hair, clothing, and budgeting. Many women grow to depend on men for financial means and pampering. This is teaching daughters that men are only good sources for financial security..

Mothers should never pressure their daughters into getting married or having children. There is nothing wrong with women that choose not to marry or have kids. There is also nothing wrong with women that do choose to marry and have kids. It is a choice, not a requirement,...

Motherhood is something I cannot wait to experience.....


No comments:

Post a Comment